Are you following a low carb diet but still crave a delicious sandwich from Subway? Good news! You don’t have to give up your favorite fast-food joint just because you’re watching your carbohydrate intake. With a little bit of knowledge and some smart choices, you can enjoy a low carb Subway sandwich that satisfies both your taste buds and your diet goals.
Subway has been a popular sandwich shop for over 50 years, with thousands of locations around the world. It’s known for its custom-made sandwiches, fresh ingredients, and low-carb options. But for those on a low-carb diet, finding bread that fits within their dietary restrictions can be challenging.
In this article, we’ll explore the lowest carb bread at Subway and what makes it a good choice for those watching their carbohydrate intake.
What Is Low-Carb Bread?
Before we dive into the specifics of low-carb bread at Subway, let’s define what low-carb bread is. As the name suggests, low-carb bread is bread that contains fewer carbohydrates than regular bread.
Most bread is made from wheat flour, which is high in carbohydrates. However, low-carb bread is made from alternative flours, such as almond flour, coconut flour, or soy flour. These flours have a lower carbohydrate content than wheat flour, making them a good option for those on a low-carb diet.
Low-carb bread is typically higher in protein and fiber than regular bread, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer. This can lead to reduced hunger and fewer cravings for high-carb and sugary foods.
When it comes to low-carb bread, it’s important to keep in mind that not all options are created equal. Some low-carb bread may be high in calories, unhealthy fats, or other additives that can be harmful to your health. It’s essential to read the labels and ingredient lists carefully and choose a low-carb bread that is made from whole, natural ingredients.
Subway’s Bread Options
Subway offers a variety of bread options, including Italian, nine-grain wheat, honey oat, hearty Italian, flatbread, and more. Each type of bread has a different nutritional profile, including the number of carbohydrates. For example, a six-inch Italian bread contains 44 grams of carbohydrates, while a six-inch nine-grain wheat bread contains 48 grams of carbohydrates. While these options may be fine for those who aren’t counting carbs, they’re not ideal for those who are watching their carbohydrate intake.
A Closer Look at Subway’s Bread Selection and Nutritional Information
When it comes to eating healthy, understanding the nutritional information of the food we consume is crucial. This is especially true for Subway sandwiches, where the bread is a significant component of the meal. Subway offers a wide selection of bread, ranging from white bread to whole wheat, and even gluten-free options. However, not all bread options are created equal when it comes to nutritional value.
Subway provides nutritional information for all its bread options on its website. This information includes the calories, fat, sodium, fiber, and carbohydrate content of each bread option. By comparing the nutritional information of different bread options, customers can make informed decisions about which bread to choose for their sandwich.
For instance, Subway’s 9-grain wheat bread is a popular choice among customers looking for a healthier option. This bread contains 210 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, and 40 grams of carbohydrates per six-inch serving.
In contrast, the Italian white bread has 200 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 38 grams of carbohydrates per six-inch serving. While the calorie and fat content is relatively similar, the wheat bread has two extra grams of fiber, making it a more filling and nutritious option.
It’s essential to note that the bread isn’t the only factor to consider when making a healthy sandwich choice. The ingredients you choose to include in your sandwich also play a significant role in determining its nutritional value. Choosing lean protein sources, like turkey or chicken breast, and loading up on vegetables can help you create a healthy and satisfying meal.
The Lowest Carb Bread At Subway
So, what’s the lowest carb bread at Subway? The answer is the 6-inch Monterey Cheddar bread, which contains only 9 grams of net carbs.
Net carbs are calculated by subtracting the amount of fiber from the total number of carbohydrates. In this case, the Monterey Cheddar bread has 20 grams of carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, resulting in 9 grams of net carbs. This makes it an excellent choice for those on a low-carb diet.
Why Is The Monterey Cheddar Bread A Good Choice?
There are several reasons why Monterey Cheddar bread is a good choice for those on a low-carb diet.
- First, it’s low in carbohydrates, as we’ve already mentioned. This means that you can enjoy a sandwich without worrying about consuming too many carbs.
- Second, the bread is high in fiber, which can help you feel full and satisfied. Fiber is an essential nutrient that is often lacking in low-carb diets, so it’s important to include it wherever possible.
- Another reason why Monterey Cheddar bread is a good choice is that it’s delicious! The bread has a rich, cheesy flavor that pairs well with a variety of sandwich fillings.
- It’s also soft and chewy, making it easy to eat and enjoy.
- Finally, the bread is a good source of protein, with 8 grams per serving. Protein is another essential nutrient that is important for building and repairing tissues in the body.
How To Order A Low-Carb Sandwich At Subway
Now that you know about the lowest carb bread at Subway, you may be wondering how to order a low-carb sandwich. Here are some tips to help you create a low-carb sandwich that fits within your dietary restrictions:
- Choose the Monterey Cheddar bread: As we’ve already discussed, the Monterey Cheddar bread is the lowest carb bread at Subway, making it a great option for those on a low-carb diet.
- Load up on veggies: Subway offers a variety of fresh vegetables, including lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, and more. Adding these to your sandwich will increase its fiber and nutrient content, without adding many carbs.
- Choose a low-carb protein: Subway offers several low-carb protein options, such as chicken breast, roast beef, turkey breast, and more. These options are high in protein and low in carbs, making them a great choice for a low-carb sandwich.
- Avoid high-carb sauces and toppings: Sauces like barbecue, honey mustard, and sweet onion contain a lot of sugar and can quickly add up in carbs. Instead, choose low-carb options like mayonnaise, mustard, or oil and vinegar.
- Watch your portion sizes: While Subway sandwiches are customizable, it’s essential to keep portion sizes in mind. Too much of any ingredient, even low-carb options, can quickly add up in calories and carbs.
Other Low Carb Options to Consider at Subway
While Subway’s bread selection offers several low carb options, customers looking to reduce their carbohydrate intake may want to explore other menu items as well. Here are some other low carb options to consider at Subway:
- Salads: Subway offers several salads that are low in carbohydrates, making them an excellent choice for those on a low carb diet. Choose greens as your base, and load up on protein, like grilled chicken or turkey breast, and vegetables. You may add raw green beans into your salad. Be mindful of the dressing, as some options may contain added sugars and carbohydrates.
- Protein Bowls: Subway’s protein bowls are another low carb option to consider. These bowls come with a protein source, like steak or chicken, vegetables, and a sauce. Opt for vegetables that are low in carbohydrates, like spinach or bell peppers, and choose a sauce that is free of added sugars.
- Lettuce Wraps: If you’re looking to skip the bread altogether, consider ordering your sandwich as a lettuce wrap. The lettuce provides a crunchy and refreshing alternative to bread and is low in carbohydrates.
- Snacks: Subway offers several snack options that are low in carbohydrates, including apple slices, baby carrots, and string cheese. These snacks are a great way to add some extra nutrition to your meal without adding too many carbohydrates.
It’s important to note that while these options are low in carbohydrates, they may not be suitable for all dietary needs. For example, those following a strict ketogenic diet may need to be more mindful of their carbohydrate intake than those on a more flexible low carb diet.
Finding low-carb options at fast-food restaurants can be challenging, but with the lowest carb bread at Subway, it’s possible to enjoy a satisfying sandwich without sacrificing your dietary restrictions.
The Monterey Cheddar bread is a delicious and nutritious option that’s low in carbs, high in fiber, and packed with protein. By following the tips we’ve outlined, you can create a low-carb sandwich that’s both delicious and satisfying. So, the next time you visit Subway, consider trying the Monterey Cheddar bread and enjoy a low-carb sandwich that fits within your dietary restrictions or if you want to lose weight.